Commander: Colonel Lawrence Allen.
The battalion operated as a partisan organization for most of the war. It consisted of the Confederate faction in Madison County. The unit often operated against Unionist bushwackers in East Tennessee. In the late fall of 1862 it was combined with the 69th North Carolina Regiment State Troops at Greenville, Tennessee. Escaping capture at Cumberland Gap the regiment with only 178 men left was at Asheville, North Carolina, in April, 1864. The regiment was disbanded in April, 1865.