Commanding officer: Major John Scott, 1862 – 1863
The unit (with one artillery and three cavalry companies) was organized in May, 1862. It was an officially recognized Partisan Ranger unit.
The battalion was mustered into service in Richmond, Virginia. It was assigned to the department of Richmond and was disbanded in January, 1863. Members of the unit were reassigned to other Virginia cavalry commands.