Commanding officer: Lt. Colonel Ambrose C. Dunn (1862 – March 1865, resigned)
Major J.R. Claiborne, 1865
This battalion was organized in August, 1862 as a partisan ranger unit. In November changed to regular cavalry. In April it totaled 300 men but was in June increased to ten companies. It was involved in various irregular operations in Western Virginia, East Tennessee, and in the Shenandoah Valley.
The unit was disbanded in mid-April, 1865.